What is Forest School?
Forest School is an inspirational process, that offers learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment.
Forest School is a specialised learning approach that sits within and compliments the wider context of outdoor and woodland education.
Main principles of Forest School:
- FS is a long-term process of regular sessions, rather than a one-off or infrequent visits; the cycle of planning, observation, adaptation and review links each session.
- FS takes place in a woodland or natural environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world.
- FS uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for being, development and learning.
- FS aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- FS offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
- FS is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
Our forest school ethos:
At Discover Outdoors, our forest school ethos promotes a child-led approach to learning and play. We promote safe exploration within the woodland environment and encourage children to enjoy a range of outdoor activities sharing our passion for the outdoors enables learners to develop respect for nature; others; and themselves.